Friday, February 26

AB FLEX

Take a look at this ridiculous contraption!!


I was thinking about working out, and working out in the nineties. I remembered that when I was about 13, which was 1996, I some how convinced my Dad to buy an Ab Flex! The infomercial made me think I was going to get a super flat stomach if I used it for - I dunno, seven minutes a day.
Truth be told, when it arrived, we used it for a week or two, then buried it in the cupboard at the back of our TV room, only to drag out on occasion to humour/impress friends.

The below news release from 1997, states that the infomercials and advertisements for such exercise equipment made exaggerated weight loss claims, which is certainly obvious, if you remember the abs they used.
I still feel the fact that I got my Dad to order one was a great feat, as Dad's never usually buy into this crap!

FTC Puts Exercise Device Weight-Loss Claims on a Diet